We can help you plan a Fair Trade Service Program abroad. Our social justice trips focus on creating local jobs in the countries we serve, paying Fair Trade wages, and contributing to local sustainability goals. This is a chance to interact with the true fabric of a community, all while focused on working with nonprofits and neighborhood schools abroad.
Volunteer Trips for College Students include:
- Contribute to social justice abroad through fair trade wages, sustainability – including economic sustainability, educational sustainability, and/or environmental sustainability.
- Social justice goals are furthered by being committed to a program that creates jobs abroad when we partner in service.
- Working side-by-side with locals from the community abroad
- Visit and support non-profit organizations providing life altering service for some of the most marginalized people in the community.
- Working on locally identified needs of the communities we serve
- Contribute to economic sustainability by staying in locally-owned hotels and eating in locally owned restaurants. The money we spend there stays there.
- Contribute to educational sustainability by volunteering in the schools to provide extra teachers, tutors, and light construction volunteers.
- Contribute to environmental sustainability by working with locals on their agricultural self-sufficiency needs
- Contribute to job growth by hiring locals for our Field Director and for other important positions.
- Our Field Director, an experienced educator from the country, will facilitate or co-facilitate reflections of our program each night to ensure we do not have a purely American gaze in processing an experience abroad. Reflections are a critical component of the social justice goals of our program.
Americans go to the Dominican Republic in large numbers for staying at resorts. This program puts local needs of Dominicans first. Americans travel to Haiti in large numbers for faith-based support, and our program allows a secular program for those who choose.
Our locations include Dominican Republic and Haiti. These trips are available for groups from Essex County, NJ to Montgomery County, PA and beyond.
In Haiti, student service programs that have been experienced by teams (including members from Bucks County, Chester County, and Burlington County) where groups join our program abroad to:
- Build chicken coops
- Play with children
- Basketball instruction
- Competitive soccer games
- Visit Haiti volunteer opportunities to learn more
In the Dominican Republic, students service programs (with students from Montgomery County, Warren County and Union County) can include:
- Tour a Dominican prison and meet with a nonprofit that works on helping former inmates get reintegrated into society
- Meet with a nonprofit working to reduce and eliminate trafficking of women
- Volunteer for a nonprofit working with girls living in extreme poverty
- Visit Dominican Republic volunteer opportunities to learn more
What does the price include for this Volunteer Trips for College Students?
- Transport within the country
- Full-time, local Field Director stays with our group.
- Full-time, local bus driver who stays with our group.
How will we contribute to locally-identified needs through Volunteer Trips for College Students?
- Working side-by-side with locals from community-based organizations.
- Volunteering in a public school or with a non-profit organization. We focus on their identified areas of need.
- Participants can work in light labor (eg, painting, etc) and work directly with children (eg, teaching English, playing sports, art projects). Or if you choose an environmental program, we can spend a lot of time on boats protecting the coral reefs
- Staying at a family-owned hotel so that our costs of lodging remain in the community we serve.
We will find time after our program to experience the clubs, bars, and beaches in the Dominican Republic. In fact, one day will be a specific outing, usually to the beach, for our group. And each day will be busy as we learn and grow, but there will also be time to enjoy much of the beauty of the countries we visit.
This program is available to groups from Montgomery County, Union County, Warren County, Bucks County, Essex County, Burlington County, Chester County, and other locations in PA, NJ, and beyond.
Our college social justice trips abroad enable students to experience countries from a different perspective few Americans experience. In fact, Americans spend a lot of money at resorts in locations abroad, and too often little money reaches those who live there. In contrast, we focus on community-based programs through a partnership with those with their feet on the ground. They will grow significantly from this trip, and few will ever just visit the resorts in these countries.
We form partnerships with the local community, because we are committed to service that empowers the locals. We are looking to support their efforts to end or reduce the cycle of poverty for the most marginalized people in a community.